Dragoon Springs Stage Stop (Take exit 318 off interstate 10 and turn south onto Dragoon Road. Cross the RR tracks in the town of Dragoon and take the dirt road to the right (N. Old Ranch Road). After about 2.6 miles turn left at the sign marking the Springs and Station, Dragoon Station is just over a mile ahead.) From the parking area, a short trail leads to the entrance gate, the ruins are immediately past the gate.



The San Antonio and San Diego Mail Line began service across Arizona to the Pacific coast in July, 1857. Also, Congress passed the ‘Overland Mail Bill’ in 1857 and this was to provide mail service twice a week from San Francisco to Saint Louis. Along this 2700-mile route, this station was to be one of 200 and construction began in August of 1858.
The San Antonio line of the Butterfield-Overland stage route stopped here near the Dragoon Springs. The stop’s name refers to the spring nearby in the Dragoon Mountains. The name of mountains themselves originated from the Third U.S. Cavalry Dragoons that patrolled the area. This mail service which was before Wells Fargo times was commonly known as the “Jackass Mail” because mules pulled the coaches, and passengers rode with their packs on mule-back across the Desert.
The Butterfield’s Overland Mail Company built this station in August and early September 1858 to house employees and livestock. William Buckley of Watertown, New York serving as the Butterfield Division Superintendent supervised the construction of the station. The Dragoon Springs station was a stop between the San Pedro Station and the Apache Pass Station. Later The company added the Ewell station between Dragoon Springs and Apache Pass but no evidence of its structure remains today.
Dragoon Springs Station was considered a ‘swing’ station—these stations stood for the purpose of changing horses or mules. A home station would include a Station master, a cook and a maintenance man. This stage stop had a great impact on the economy of this southwest area; bringing many new settlers and employing a large number of people.

1860 drawing of station surroundings by H. C. Grosvenor, of Tubac, AZ
We know about the structure from the history book that contains the Grosvenor drawing: “This station, or corral, is 85 miles east of Tucson. It is a rectangular enclosure, protected by a stone wall eight foot high. One third of the space is occupied by storehouses and the sleeping apartment of the station master. These structures are covered by thatched roofs. The mules are kept in the other part, ready for change on the arrival of the mail. A heavy wooden gate defends the entrance. The two graves in the foreground are mementos of a tragedy that occurred on the night of September 8, 1858. Rude wooden slabs at their head bear brief inscriptions.”(Note: These wooden slab markers are no longer present at the gravesite)
The Tragedy on September 8, 1858
The stage stop was nearly complete and the majority of the workers had moved on towards the next station. Left behind were a few men to complete the thatching of the roof. These were James Burr, James Cunningham and James Laing and three Mexican workers: Guadalupe Ramirez, Pablo Ramirez and Bonifacio Mirando. Two of the Americans would meet their end at this stage stop at the hands of the three Mexican workers. In January 1859, Silas St. John, the only survivor would give an account of the day to the Washington Union, a DC based newspaper.
The Escape OF SILAS ST JOHN Printed in the Washington Union of Fri Jan 28, 1859, page 2
In yesterday’s Union we spoke at length of the necessity for the organization of Arizona, the story told below in a strong commentary upon our remarks.
Mr. St. John, the maimed hero of this escape, is now in this city, and the great courage he displayed under the horrible circumstances in which he was placed entitles him to much sympathy. It is under- aloud that Mr. St. John brings letters of commendation from distinguished sources to many prominent men in Congress; and should the territorial bill for Arizonia become a law, an application, which we trust will be successful will lie made for him for a subordinate appointment in the Territory, where he has been, by the loss of his arm, disabled for life.
The Escape OF SILAS ST JOHN Mr. Silas St. John, the only survivor of the party in charge of the United States Mail station at Dragoon Springs, Arizona in September last, has reached this city from San Francisco, by the sea passage, and it on his way to Washington with letters commending him to the attention of the government. He called at the office of the Century on Thursday last, and gave us the following particulars of the murder of his associates, and of his own remarkable escape and sufferings He wore an overcoat of the national blue, one sleeve of which bung loose and armless at his side. He was born in the city of New York, and is now only twenty-four years of age; but his features are already strongly marked by the resolution that is acquired by exposure to the toil and accidents of pioneer life.
Dragoon Springs is in the Gadsden purchase, eighty-three miles east of Tucson, and sixty-five miles from Fort Buchanan. The corral, or station, is a rectangular enclosure, twenty-five by thirty-five feet, protected by a stone wall two and a half feet thick at the base, and eight feet high. One-third of the space is occupied by the store houses and the sleeping apartment of the station-master. The mules are kept in the other part, ready for change on the arrival of the mail. A heavy wooden gate defends the entrance.
Three Mexicans, named Guadaloupe, Bonifacio, and Pablo, and three Americans, constituted Mr. St. John’s guard at the time of the attack. On the night of the 8th of September, one of the Mexicans took his turn on the watch, while the other two were supposed to be sleeping outside of the corral. James Burr, formerly of Watertown N. Y., also slept on the outside on a hillock. The other Americans, Preston Cunningham, of California, and James Laing, of Kentucky, were sleeping in the storeroom, which communicated by a door with Mr. St. John’s apartment. The first notice that Mr. St. John had of any unusual movement was the passage of the two Mexicans from the outside into the storeroom, and immediately after he heard blows struck. He called to Burr to arouse him outside, but at that instant, the poor fellow was killed by the third Mexican.
Station sleeping locations Drawn by Gerald T. Ahnert, 2016

Images of the remains of the interior of the Stage station in 2025

Silas St. John’s Sleeping Quarters (Laing slept to the right)

Cunningham Sleeping Quarters also the Storehouse

Entrance to the Stage Stop

Corral and flagpole base
The two others now rushed into St. John’s apartment, Guadaloupe made a stroke at him with a carpenter’s axe, which cut him severely in the hip. Bonifacio struck at him with a chopping axe, and he received the blow on his left arm, which was instantly disabled; he was fortunate enough to knock him down with his fist before he could aim a second. Then he retreated, still warding off blows, to the head of his mattress for his gun, when the two assassins backed out; but hearing the gun fall, they judged that St. John was unable to use it, and returned to the assault, accompanied by the boy who had killed Burr. St. John met them with a revolver and fired, when they all fled. The shot struck Pablo, and his bones were found some days after picked by the wolves.
St John took up a position whence he could see around the corral, and remained there until daylight, when he fell over from the loss of blood. His left arm was broken and cut through, excepting only the flesh which covered the main artery. He was alone all the next day, which was Thursday. Cunningham died twenty-four hours after he received Iris wound. Laing staggered about hardly sensible, the brain oozing from his skull. They attempted to drink some wafer which the Mexicans had placed there In buckets, but it caused vomiting immediately and St. John poured it on the ground, fearing that excessive weakness from loss of blood might tempt him to try it again.
Laing lived six days after he received his wound. The mules were suffering for food and water, and several had broken loose. St. John crept a distance of fifteen feet, and opened the gate to let them out, and returned to his watching place. This exertion cost him two hours of time on account of his extreme weakness. His wound began to mortify on the second day, and to fill with maggots. He could not sleep at night for which came round and poked their noses through the gate bars, howling for admission; and during the day crows and buzzards perched on the walls, attracted by the smell of the dead bodies.
St. John had succeeded in writing a statement of the murder in a small book, for the information of the San Antonio and San Diego mail party that was due at the station on Monday, fortunately, it arrived on Sunday morning; the first person who approached him was a personal friend, Mr. George Caldwell of California. They immediately went in pursuit of water. Lieut. Mowry, delegate to Washington from Arizona, and Col. Loach, the Superintendent of’ the E1 Paso wagon road, made every exertion for Mr. St. John’s relief.
A man was left with him, while the mail pushed on to the next station, from which two men were sent with supplies An express was sent to Dr. Irwin, at Fort Buchanan. The Doctor was absent at fifty miles’ distance. On being notified, he rode day and night, 115 miles, and reached Dragoon Springs early on the morning of the 17th. St. John had lain nine days in his blood.
His arm was amputated with no hope, however, by the Doctor that his life would lie saved. The maggots hail consumed the mortified flesh, and prevented the more rapid spread of putrefaction. Six days after the amputation, St. John was taken to Fort Buchanan, where he remained till Nov. 16.
Mr. St John desires particularly to return his grateful thanks to Lieut. Mowry, Col Leach, Dr. Irwin, and Mr. Caldwell, for their attention and kindness. Since waiting the above, Col Leach has called and confirmed its truth. He given a few additional particulars. Burr’s head was crushed by a heavy blow with a stone hammer, as he lay doubled up on his side, and to all appearance had not moved a muscle. St. John’s arm wax separated at the shoulder from the socket.
Account of William Buckley, nephew of James Burr and member of the station construction crew (As published in The New York Reformer, Watertown, November 4, 1858)
The graves of Butterfield’s Overland Mail Company employees are a result of a massacre that started a few minutes after midnight on September 9, 1858. Some of the station construction crew had just gone on to the San Pedro River to build a station. Left behind were Silas St. John, James Burr, William Cunningham, James Laing, and three Mexican laborers. One of the construction crew that had just left for the San Pedro River was Superintendent William Buckley. As one of those that was killed was his uncle, he wrote an account of the massacre for their hometown newspaper in Upstate New York.
“The last hope that there might be an error or falsehood in the first report of the massacre of our old fellow townsman, Mr. James Burr, and his companions, at Dragoon Springs has been dispelled by a letter from William Buckley, one of the superintendents of the overland mail company, to his father. The details of the horrid murder equal in atrocity anything we read in the annals of crime. Mr. B. writes from Tucson, seventy-five miles from Dragoon Springs, September 14, five days after the murder. We copy from his letter: Uncle James, Mr. St. John, Mr. Cunningham and Mr. Laing, together with three Mexicans in our employ, were stationed at that place, [Dragoon Springs.] Everything had gone on well. I had not learned of any trouble between the men. I had eight mules with quite a large amount of property at the place. The murder was committed by the three Mexicans. Mr. Laing is undoubtedly dead before this. Mr. St. John is wounded, but I think with good care he will recover. The murder was committed in order to steal the property, as I had quite a large amount there. Uncle James was lying outside the corral when he was found, which was on Sunday morning. The murder was committed on Wednesday night. He lay in his blankets, with his head on one side all broken in. He had been killed with a stone hammer, and from all appearances he was struck two blows. He undoubtedly died without a struggle, from his appearance and position when found. Mr. Colwell and another man I had sent up to Dragoon Springs arrived there Sunday morning. Soon after the stage came up with Lieutenant Mowry, Colonel Leach, and several other passengers. Immediately on their arrival they buried uncle James and attended to the wants of the wounded men. They had nothing to eat or drink from Wednesday night to Sunday morning, being unable to move from the corral. Everything was done for them that men could do.”
From a letter by Silas St. John to Miss Sharlot Hall, Dewey, AZ. “…The largest is a double grave in which rests together the remains of Wm. Cunningham, and James Hughes [Burr]. The single grave next south is that of James Laing. The two graves north of the double grave are those of a Cal. regiment which used the old station as a fort in 62–63. Those graves have each a rough stone inscribed with the names of the occupants. The double grave and the single one to the south of them are without markers. My good left arm was buried between those graves.”

Remains of the burial spot for James Burr, Preston Cunningham, James Laing and Silas St. Johns’ left arm
(Located to the right as you face the stage entrance)
The graves of Burr and Cunningham lie to the right side of the stage stop entrance. Pablo, the Mexican that died from the shot from St. James was discovered years later a mile or so from the stage stop. His remains had succumbed to the elements. Silas St John died on September 15, 1919 and his remains lie at Mount Hope Cemetery in San Diego California. His marker lists his birthdate as April 21, 1835, making him only 23 at the time of the massacre at the Dragoon Springs Station.

End of the Dragoon Springs Stage Station: Mail service at Dragoon Springs ended in 1861. At this time the Civil War began, and the faster Pony Express service had started in 1860. Under the Confederate States of America, the abandoned Butterfield route between Texas and Southern California operated under a new Federal contract as part of the Overland Mail Corporation route with limited success by George Henry Giddings. The contract awarded in May 1861 set a start date of April 1, 1861, and an end date of June 30, 1862. An attempt was made to fulfill the contract, beginning April 1, but faced with insurmountable obstacles and with the development of the Civil War, the contractors were compelled to give it up.
Additional Graves Present
Four Confederates soldiers who died during the battle of Dragoon Spring in May 1862 rest here. The story of their demise is featured at the next stop where the actual battle at Dragoon Springs was fought.
These graves are the final resting places of four members of Captain Sherod Hunter’s Company of Arizona Rangers (also known as Company A, Governor John R. Baylor’s Regiment of Arizona Rangers): Sergeant Sam Ford, a private known only as Richardo, and two other soldiers whose names are lost to history (one of these is probably John Donaldson, based on an obituary which appeared in a Tucson newspaper. However, there is nothing at the gravesite itself to indicate this, and it is unknown as to which, if either, of the two unmarked graves is that of Donaldson). Currently no markers are present at any of the four mounds. (see also the battle site at https://thepaintedhawk.wordpress.com/dragoon-springs/)



Youtube video also available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwcg2F7QIb4
It is the first Sunday in Lent, and today we commemorate the Triumph of Orthodoxy. The traditions of this day are lovely, and I especially enjoy the children who have brought their favorite icons with them to parade around the church. The little ones, so precious, pure innocent love for our Lord!